Unique and cost-effective programs have been implemented by many countries to help expand mobility for both residents and employees. Motorpools – a group of vehicles shared on a short-term basis by an organization – are becoming more and more popular, especially for government agencies.
However, there are still major challenges that shared fleets are facing today. Read on to learn what the challenges are and how they can be addressed.
Top five challenges of government motorpools
Many government agencies may currently have larger than needed fleets. This means they have more vehicles than needed resulting in massive underutilization and unnecessary increased costs associated with maintaining those assets.
In any organization, it is important to utilize all assets as efficiently and effectively as possible. This is sometimes difficult with motorpools. Here’s why:
- TCO — The total cost of ownership becomes very high, especially when all vehicles are not being used in the same way and potentially sitting in parking lots not being used.
- Key management — Organizations must plan manual and physical ways to coordinate key drop-off and pick-ups, which becomes increasingly difficult during times such as the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Billing and paperwork — When motorpools are shared between different departments, it increases manual billings and paperwork which can become time consuming for everyone involved.
- Sustainability — Fleets with excessive vehicles have a larger carbon footprint. This works against state, local, federal or provincial sustainability mandates for reducing the use of combustion engine vehicles or decreasing carbon emissions.
- Increased costs — There is an increase in costs including annual maintenance and labor, such as having to jumpstart a vehicle with a dead battery because of underutilization.
Geotab Keyless: Get more mileage out of your government fleet
Geotab Keyless is a digital key solution to help maximize motorpool utilization, providing a seamless car sharing experience and reduction in costs. Here are a few benefits of using the digital key solution:
Secured and keyless access:
Geotab Keyless eliminates the need for physical keys and helps organizations ensure only authorized employees have access to vehicles.
Improved utilization and aid in rightsizing your fleet:
Get complete fleet visibility to reduce, repurpose or redistribute assets to increase utilization. With more drivers sharing one car, you can grow carsharing without growing the number of vehicles. Plus, Keyless makes it easier to prioritize vehicles with the lowest miles to maximize usage.
Seamless car sharing operations:
Geotab Keyless makes it easy to share vehicles between departments in a government agency. Additionally, you can digitize billings with integrated software to reduce overall paperwork.
Reduce costs and save time:
No staff is needed to physically manage keys or replace lost keys which will lead to a reduction in costs and save time.
Meet sustainability goals:
With all vehicles being properly utilized, agencies can work toward achieving their sustainability goals.
To learn more about Geotab Keyless, watch this video or visit geotab.com/keyless.
Integrating telematics with Geotab Keyless
For government agencies, having the power of a telematics platform alongside secured keyless technology provides fleets with a safer way to control and manage day-to-day operations.
Geotab Keyless supports all vehicles that have a keyfob including electric, hybrid, Light-Medium and Heavy-Duty vehicles. It is easy to install and users also have the flexibility to use the application with a mobile app or NFC tags along with the ability to operate a free-floating or centrally located motorpool operation.
Sign up for a demo
Whether you are new to motorpools, or want to rightsize your fleet, explore the solution first-hand and sign up here to learn more. For more information or additional inquiries about Geotab Keyless, please email firstname.lastname@example.org